oil leak

20

Asked by Sep 15, 2013 at 09:12 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

Oil is coming right out where the drive shaft comes out to the belt pulley big time.
Is there a seal in the front or back side that needs replacing ?

1,620

no, there is no crank seal on the pulley end of the crankshaft on this car. it has a spiral groove and a slinger ring that should keep the oil in the crankcase. way over full of oil ? extreme blow by at the rings. crankcase vent tube comming from the oil fill box plugged ?

20

Vent tube not plugged. No over fill of oil. Don't know of any Old Volkswagen mechanics in the Rockford IL area to check it out. I will try to make some calls. Unless you know of one in the Northern IL. area

1,620

heres another thought. clean it off thoroughly and keep a close eye on it and be sure its not an oil pump leak. the pump is directly behind the sheetmetal that is in back of the crank pulley. the air flow in the engine compartment helps spread it around and make a mess. other nearby sources for oil would be the fuel pump and the oil pressure sending unit.check the generator stand to be sure it is bolted down tight as oil can leak from it also. if crankcase pressure is the problem, you should be able to detect it by removing the oil fill cap and holding your hand over the opening with the engine running.

20

I removed the pulley. There looks like there are two loose type washers in the back side. I started the motor for just a coupe seconds and that is where the oil is coming from. I suppose the pulley shaft is supposed to go up tight against the washers. The washers worn need replacement ???

1,620

to CarGurus no not really. the "washer" you are seeing is actually inside the crankcase, right ? this should be the slinger. without the pulley bolted to the crankshaft, oil will definetly run out when the engine is running. how long have you owned it ? has it leaked the entire time you have owned it ? did the previous owner say anything about having rebuilt the engine ? very little oil ever escapes this system unless something is very wrong like the slinger in backwards. you said 2 washers. the slinger isn't split apart is it ? check it as close as you can and let me know what you think.

20

I have had the 1970 VW for about 10 years. No oil leaks until this one started and kept getting worse. I pulled out a washer type from behind the pulley. There is a 1/4 inch gape in the washer ?? But there is another looking washer up against the back side that can not be pulled out. It does rotate. Is this the slinger ?

1,620

yes,it should be. i'm new to this sight. i received a private message from a person that posted a question. don't know how that works. i have a picture i would like to forward to you but don't know how without your email. something is very wrong. there should only be the slinger ring between the end of the pulley and the 1st (actually #4) main bearing and you should not be able to remove it from the case. the slinger is supposed to be concave.the only washer in this area is the one on the pulley bolt. nothing between the pulley hub and the slinger.

20

I made some phone calls and was referred to a mechanic about 25 miles north of me that is supposed to be good on working on old VW'S. Will have it towed there Friday. Wish me luck. Thanks.

20

My e-mail: herbonnie48@gmail.com. Send me the picture.

how did you make out and what was the problem was I'm having the same problem oil being slung out on the chrome the oil slinger is in right, nothing plugged up