Fuel does not reach the caburetor

10

Asked by Aug 10, 2013 at 05:07 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

I have replaced the fuel filter and pipes leading to and from it after the fuel leaked through
a perished perished pipe just before the engine. The fuel filter is connected in the right
direction. There is no fuel reaching the fuel pump and then not the carburetor. Can the
problem be the fuel pump and how can I fix it with replacing it. (If the fuel pump is the
problem). Or may there be another problem? It is a 1970 Beetle that has been standing
for 12 years.  If I pour fuel directly into the carburetor the car splutters and sound as if it
wants to start. Any suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

...well if you could put a suction tool on the tank side to see if there's an obstruction...you new fuel pump should be pumpin...back pressure with compressed air....if there is enough fuel in the tank should come a flowin'

2,725

Replace the fuel pump as the diaphragm has probably perished and split. Also remove the fuel tank and rinse through with some clean fresh petrol and the refill with fresh fuel. It will take some cranking to draw the fuel up to the carb but should work. Also check that the ignition is sparking if this car has contact points in the distributor they may need cleaning as the contacts could have become corroded, also check timing once contact gap has been reset.

10

Thanks Judge and Paul I will try this and give feedback. Have a great day!

180

hello there. i am having the same problem. i too have a 1970 beetle. i have cleared the lines from the tank to the motor, replaced the pump, pushrod, and the plastic guide but it still won't pull gas. if it sits for a while gas will flow into the filter to the pump and the motor will start but run it for a while and the gas level drops and the motor is starved for fuel. i can't figure out what is wrong and y fuel wont make it to the carb. please help

mechanical fuel pump should put out a steady 9-15 psi...your new one should be able to do that....check for restrictions on the inlet side~

probably has a torn diaphragm...of a mind that chevron with techron uses compounds that will EAT organic compounds...in other words techron cleans your engine all right....clean of critical components~

benzene is one of them~

180

its a new pump, pushrod, and plastic spacer. when the car dose start i the fuel filter only keeps a small splash of gas in it and not totally full.

plugged line? then~ there are lengths of steel fuel line...just have to measure out how and which~

180

ok here is everything we did, cleaned the thank and replaced the strainer, blew air through the steel line from under the tank to the back wheel where it exits the frame, attached a new rubber line to go to the pump, have a filter on the in side of the pump and the out side of the pump. i replaced the pump, pushrod, and plastic spacer. it will pump some for a little while but not enough to fill the filter. i took the pump with me to the parts store so i got the correct length pushrod. i can drive it around the block a few times after first starting it but after that it starves for fuel.

okay...probably the cam what activates the pump is worn...in that light, get a 36 dollar electric one and call it skippy...tap into power from the ignition switch...any ground along the frame will do~ https://www.google.com/#q=1970+Volkswagen+Beetle+electric+fuel+pump+ retrofit&tbm=shop&spd=8855631288491332020