I have a 72 Fiat spyder that my father got tiered of fixing many moons ago. He replaced then engine and tranny with a 70 something VW Beatle engine. This was back in 1990 or so, then it sat. We had it running again in 2001 but never had it purring. Here we are in 2013 and my 17 year old and I are trying to get it going (a little mother/son project) we have put a new battery in it, fuel treatment and we are just getting a click, no start. We read some previous postings and tried the universal tool on the starter and that didn't work. Any ideas would be appreciated. ~Michelle

Asked by May 12, 2013 at 03:18 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

83,485

If it has sat for that long make sure that the engine is not seized up, if it turns over then the problem might be the starter itself, the click is the bendix engaging but the motor is not turning. I would like to see a picture of the engine in the vehicle, I've seem VW motors in a lot of stuff but never a Fiat Spyder. Hope this little info helps.

20,555

Put a Fiat engine back in it- the twin cam motor is a beauty, designed by Engineer Lampredi who also designed Ferrari engines- the VW engine is also classic but in a Third Reich kind of way- if the car is rusted, just throw the whole mess away and start over- the Fiats are easy and cheap to work on and there are thousands of nice ones out there