no spark at points

Asked by Jun 11, 2011 at 06:45 PM about the 1970 Volkswagen Beetle

i have no spark at the points new dist. new cond. new coil new points have fire both side of coil down to the cond. no fire at the points what can i do?

1,655

not sure what you mean by "have fire both side of the coil down to the cond." pull the coil wire off the distributor cap. hold it close to a ground (decklid hinge) and crank the motor. if you have fire your condensor is good. that's the first thing i would check. if you have fire is it blue or orange/yellow. if blue your good, if orange/yellow it's weak. either coil bad or battery not charged. if it's blue then you need to check the cap, rotor (yes even new one's are sometimes bad) and timing on car. if you do NOT have fire out of the coil, get out your volt meter and check the positive side of the coil for power when the key is ON. if no power you have wiring problems or a bad ignition switch.