How do I flush my motor?

Asked by Aug 26, 2015 at 07:59 PM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

Car has been setting in a barn for several years. While draining the oil, several
quarts of clear water came out first then black oil and now grey mix. Plugs are
out and the flywheel will turn. Just wondering if anyone had ever used diesel to
flush  it?

98,345

Yes I have used Diesel but I don't recommend it. After you have cleaned out the oil pickup screen, put in a small amount of engine oil in each cylinder and turn it over by hand, then pop off the valve covers and check the valve adjustments and for water in there, replace the gaskets if they are not the good rubber ones, install new Bosch spark plugs, clean the air filter assembly if it still has the old oil bath on it, on the engine flush just use some from a parts store with the oil, but as this is a air cooler only run it half the time listed on the can, drain it all out and clean the oil pickup screen again, refill with fresh oil and drive it about 300 miles or if it starts to get cloudy change it sooner, it may take 2 to 3 oil changes to get it all clean, hopefully that condensation didn't damage any of the wrist pins or crank bearings, but you will find that out once it starts. You better check the gear box before you fire it up also, they can also sweat and have water in there too. When you do finally get it running, flush the brakes, condensation really does a number on these little guys braking systems. HTH

Thanks, sounds good. Appreciate your help. Have you ever coated or treated a gas tank?

98,345

Yes, I had an old Chevy truck that had an auxiliary fuel tank and when I bought it there was a 1/4 tank of water in the aux tank, I went to a truck shop that had a high pressure steam washer, I washed that thing out for an hour and was still getting rust out of it, so I let it dry then bought some of that black tank sealer, I had to coat it 4 times within the month it was out before I got a good coating that I could see with a light and a mirror, put it in and filled it up and it was good to go it was still working when I sold the truck some 6 years later.