classic vw wheelbase extention

Asked by Oct 20, 2014 at 07:32 PM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

Hay does anyone have any good ideas about how to extend the wheelbase of my 1969
vw beetle? i have been looking around but no good info so hoping someone has tryed or
done it could give some advice on how to proceed with this mod. working on making it
into a ratrod. any help much appreciated

James Kitlas

I don't know about extending it, but VW guys switch to a "bus" transaxial to lift it. Extending the wheel base would be difficult & involve first the steering connections & suspension too. See Volks Rods online too. They cut the pan to shorten. Theoretically a piece could be welded in to lengthen?

James Kitlas

See Ian Roussel @ this guy is good! I saw him cut up a VW & take a section out of the pan perpendicular. So extending is opposite. I once saw a VW limo so extending the wheelbase IS possible.