1969 vw bug won't start without jumper cables

Asked by Jul 19, 2013 at 06:06 PM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

I can not start my bug unless it has jumper cables attached to it. When I turn the key without jumper cables attached all i get is nothin.  I have checked the starter and silanoid both are working, they whir when i connect a screw driver across there terminals. I have checked to make sure nothing was shorting out and it all checked out good there. I have fixed the generator it is all working nice and dandy also, and when i went to get the battery and all that tested it came out with the battery is at 0 even after a full night charge( This is a brand new battery). Also when I try and start it with out cables hooked up it doesn't even kick the starter into gear, but it is not the ignition because the battery was on a full nights charge and still wouldn't start on it's own... Please help I really love this car and I have not had it fully working since I bought it.

I would firstly check that the battery circuit is complete, that is that the positive lead is supplying battery voltage to the starter solenoid and that the earth is actually connected to the chassis also check that the engine earth strap is connected to the chassis.

sounds like you need to look into some battery issues first. 1. If you unhook the battery and charge it, does it start once you hook it up? if not you ll need to have battery tested and I would replace your battery cables. 2. If it does start then you have a drain on the battery when ignition is off and that could take some digging to find it, and that will be a different story - -