No power

Asked by Dec 30, 2011 at 03:05 PM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

Hi,  I am from South Africa.  I have recently bought a VW Beetle 1969 model 1.6.  The car however has no power, even if I  step on the gas pedal flat.  It still moves in a very slow speed.  What is the cause of this.

Thanks

195

Check the piont gap.Shoul be .016.Then check teh throtle cable if it open the carb complete.

1,615

first you need to do a tune up. replace spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and points. make sure you set the points. then check timing. while your doing this, you can get a look at the engine and see if anything else looks funny or wore. also check the throttle cable and carb linkage and make sure you are getting full throttle. without knowing the condition of these parts, your problem will be a shot in the dark.