69 vw bug has problem..think its transaxle....

Asked by Jun 26, 2010 at 03:48 PM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

got a 69 vw bug, starts fine with cluch engaged, doesnt seem to shift in or out of any particular gear( appears to be in nuetral) but when you let off the clutch and gas it car  seems like its in a gear and struggles to move forward and dies if not gasing enough, also if you just let off clutch without gasing, car just boggs out then dies even thought shifter appears to be in nuetral....

Just replaced the shift rod coupling because shift rod was very loose, and old one was torn up. its been sitting for a couple of years, my neighbor said his son took it out and was shifting hard with it and then he siad he couldn't get it out of a gear a few miles down the road and drove it back in that same gear. so Im thinkin it might be in the trans axle....just not sure what to focus on first.

1,665

sounds like your gonna be pulling a transaxle! first thing is to take the cover off of the shift coupler and try to shift gears. does the shift coupler move the hockey stick in and out?? i would guess that either the hockey stick is broke, or has fell off the shift forks.

10

Yes its the shift coupler thats bad. replace it and all is back to normal. Had change a few times for myself and some friends of mine who had the same problem. Once i had to make one out of rubber slipper sole just to get home and it work all the way home.

10

It is located under the rear seat beside your chassis number with a plate cover with 2 screw.