1969 bug won't start with turn of the key.

75

Asked by Jul 10, 2008 at 12:31 AM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

I have a 69 vw beetle. I just recently replaced the fuel pump. Now when I turn the key it won't start. I have to clutch start it(push start it) all the time. Only when I park on a hill is this possible. Have any idea what is wrong ?

30

its a 69 vw beetle.

220

you can check the starter by going under and pulling the clip on wire and touching it to the bolt on wire make sure the brake is on and in neutral if it turns clean the terminal and try starting it if nothing get a new starter

20

It'll take 2 of you- if one gets under the car in between the wheels on the passenger side towards the back of the car, stick out your right arm up into where the engine compartment is, there will be the starter motor. As one of you is in the cab, turning the key, the other wants to be giving the stater motor a good whack with a universal adjusting tool (hammer)... you wont be able to hit it too hard, you cant get the angle... If it turns over and then starts, its narrowed down your problem to dodgy alternator earthing/old battery/REALLY sticky starter motor... If you run the car for a while, take it out for a few miles to get some juice in its battery then it still wont start without a bump or a whack, its your alternator or wiring for the alternator... I would expect you have knocked some electrics whilst replacing your fuel pump and not noticed. Double check everything is going where it is supposed to, my friend managed to gut his bug when a fuel line dripped onto some electrics, it was a very sad day...

75

It turns out it was just the wire running from the ignition to the starter. It came unplugged. After I purchased a new starter since O'Reilys said they couldn't test it be cause it wouldn't work on their machine. 40.00 & a lifetime warranty later it now starts with turning the key !

25

Check out your Rotor Cup.

45

I had this same problem with my '66 beetle. 1) Make sure that your battery is charged and can keep one. If it can't keep a charge, you will want to have your generator looked at. 2) Have your ignition coil checked out. It could also be a factor why it won't even turn over. Good luck! I hope that you can figure it out. If not, shoot me a message...

20

wire of solenoid on starter..ignition switch faulty