Pepsi-Cola issued a "Mug" rootbeer Beetle, in 1969, how much is it worth

Asked by jojo Apr 01, 2007 at 10:58 AM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

Pepsi-Cola had a few "MUG ROOTBEER" Beetles, in 1969, found two of them, 5,000 miles on them, How much is it worth?

Actually jojo as I understand it the Mug promotion happened in 1999 less than a year after Mug was introduced. They wrapped about 25 vintage Beetles and some of the new generation of Beetles (which prompted the promotion) to promote the brand. I didn't find a breakdown of the alleged 25 vintage Beetles in question however. As for their value that's hard to say. For most the vintage Beetles, your two 1969's for example have value based on the fact they are restored with low mileage and the fact they have the Mug wrap may actually hurt their value. To others the sheer rarity of these cars gives them added appeal. The best shot you have is to search out Beetle collectors on the web or simply throw it up on ebay and se what kind of response you get. Good luck!

20

hey jojo i have one of my own 1971 mug bug I had purchesed it from a employee of pepsi and it only had 600 miles on it well on the dash any way. I also have some other promo ads like a foam maker some banners. any way on a prize entry form the retail price was stated as 10,000

20

I have one sitting in my garage. The car runs great and looks great. Lots of fun to drive. I need the room and would be willing to make a sale.

Do you still have this beetle and any pictures. A local museum in Iowa is trying to add a Soda/Pop component to their museum.

50

I helped build these bugs back in 1999. It would be cool If I could get my hands on one today.

50

Well that would depend on the condition of the bug and the year of it.

50

I also have to tell you that it was the MTV BEACH HOUSE/MUG ROOT BEER PROMOTION in june of 1996.

10

Poor baby---need to get her running again

50

Jodi, What city do you live in? Where did the mug stickers go?

20

I have a 1970 with less than 23,000 miles on it! Also have documentation!

10

I also have one of these Mug Root Beer bugs I believe it's a 72 or 74 if anybody can help me with answers I appreciate it

10

Mine is a '73. Was one of 7 raffled off by MTV for the Mug Root Beer Promotion. Restored a few years ago.

I sold a yellow 1973 Super Beetle with black interior in GA that I heard became a Mug Bug.... I had recovered the front seats and I got carried away and unintentionally overstuffed them so much that you hit your head when you got into the car.... anybody know where my "sunny bee" ended up ? ... just curious.... MB King NW GA

Here is mine when it had all the stickers on it. It’s a 1972 standard beetle and all stickers had been removed before I purchased it. Found this pic in the glove compartment. It’s in very good shape, runs great and still looks nice inside and out.

I found this article related to the Pepsi Bug Mug. Page one of two. This blog only lets me add one picture at a time so I will submit a second message with the second picture if page two of the article. I hope it helps. Keep those classic Volkswagen beetles running and if you do not want them anymore pass them on to someone that will care for them. Good luck.

I also found this posting info. Classic Car Overview 1970 Volkswagen Mug Bug Beetle The way the story goes, when Pepsi-Co re-launched the Mug Rootbeer brand in the 90s, they bought about 25 low-mileage, vintage beetles from the desert southwest area, wrapped them in a mug rootbeer paint scheme, overhauled the interior and drivetrains, and distributed them for various promotions around the country.