starter problem turned into...its not running & i can't figure out why

Asked by Jan 04, 2008 at 04:12 AM about the 1969 Volkswagen Beetle

So as my first car i bought a used 1969 beetle...its nice to drive =P
BUT...once i really need it, i ran into problems and now we can't figure out whats wrong with it nor do i have the money or transportation to be taking it to mechanics especially when once i know whats wrong and what to do, i have car oriented people to help me.

1) starter goes out
  -bought a new starter and replaced it
2) rebuilt starter had a bad cylanoid
  -exchanged starters
3) battery was dead
  -charged battery
4) cylanoid was locked up
  -someone hit the starter while another tried to start it
5) S.O.L. with no ideas left but to check the fuses but we can't test them and get a few people together at the same time to try and push start it...

any other ideas?

415

do you have current at the starter?to disengage sel just push the car backwards that should release it.after that try turn key and listen for a click in starter thats the selinoid activating you may have 2 bad starter selinoids.

42,925

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen rebuilt/new parts which were bad out of the box. I would try to check for current at the starter as Ryan suggested.

65

I had the same problem. The wire From the ignition going to the starter came unplugged under the hood just behind the dashboard. It is a big red wire. I searched for 3 days tracing wires and all that before I found the unplugged wire.