68 Bug Clutch Issue

Asked by Sep 30, 2007 at 08:18 PM about the 1968 Volkswagen Beetle

First post. Just picked up a 68 Bug.Clutch wasn't working. Pulled motor and found the throw out brg. exploded. Was kind of concerned because the disc & plate are brand new. Also noticed the cross shaft has one bend arm. Also had missing "operating lever" on trans. Located one of those but can't find a "spring seat" used with the missing lever/arm. I was going to order a clutch kit and found there are two type clutch plates available in 200mm. size, One with a collar on the release fingers & one without. My plate had no collar. Will these interchange? Found a engine # of D09980841. Believe it is a 1600 dual but can't figure out the year in order to get the correct clutch parts. I wonder if the other owner installed the incorrect clutch plate thus causing the problem? I found the input shaft seal appeared to be worn oval in a vertical pattern. Pulled the seal and found about 1/8 to 1/4" play in the input shaft measured @ the stub end. What's allowable? {swing arm trans} Thanks much for enduring the long post! Greatful for any assistance.

40,235

You will need to check a Hollander interchange manual or factory service manual to answer these questions. It sounds like the incorrect clutc was installed, I would not try to interchange without knowing what was originally supposed to be there.