Value

Asked by Oct 15, 2008 at 05:14 PM about the 1968 Volkswagen Beetle

I have a friend that is getting rid of a 1968 Volks Beetle, not sure how much it is worth.  I am looking for a first car for my 16 yr old.  No rust, decent shape, will need some work (brakes, battery, plugs, basic stuff)  What would you pay for something like that?

395

What engine does it have, 1500cc? The price of beetles in that era depends only on condition, there aren't really any rare options or anything as they were all basically the same. It's an excellent car for a young kid to have, I bought my 1970 bug in Year 12 and it has been great fun and always reliable. When looking for rust, be sure to check the base of the A and B pillars where they attach to the door sill as well as the heater channels (run underneath the floor just inboard of the running boards either side of the car). Heater channels can be replaced fairly easily, A pillars can't! If there is no rust and the body is in good shape, it will be worth at least $1000. If the engine, mechanicals and everything else is in very good condition and drives well it could be around the $2000 - $3000 mark. It would have to be really special to be worth much more than $4000. Make sure that the engine and gearbox are okay as both are quite expensive to replace. Don't be too surprised if cylinder #3 (front left corner of the engine bay) is lower in compression than the others as this is always the first one to wear out.

395

Also, if you get a new battery for it make sure you get one with recessed terminals otherwise it can short out on the reat seat springs and start a fire. I recommend an Exide Premium battery because they all have recessed terminals so you don't have to pay the extra money for a European-spec battery.

395

Also, I was assuming that you are in Australia, the prices I said were in Australian dollars and will be useless anywhere else.

1,445

$500.00

10

I am wanting to purchase a 1968 beetle that is in very poor condition. Rust all over doesnt run. Person has some new parts like bumbers, handles. There is a new carburetor but needs battery pmus more. Hiw much should I offer for this beetle?