67bug/W71 eng

25

Asked by Jul 03, 2008 at 05:15 PM about the 1967 Volkswagen Beetle

I drove to the store,turned it of and when I turned the key the lights went on but no turn over. I pushed it backwards and started it,drove it home I only see 1wire out of place it is to the stereo. could it be a starter ? solinoid? the manual I have does not have a trouble shooting section and any info on a good manual would help i am truly trying to do as much as I can by myself. thank you all for any advice.

eman

55

How long was It sitting? If the car was still warm it could be a problem infamously known with the Porsche 924 as the "hot start problem."

Did it 'click?' But Beetle soleniods never did anyway... Check starter for tightness first. The top bolt always loosened from engine torque. Beetles have two starter bolts, the top goes from the transmission into the engine and the bottom goes from the engine to the transmission. But if a bolt loosens, the starter will lose its ground and fail.

180

the starter being loose is unlikely but to check just get under nand give it a push if it doesnt move your good most liklyit is one of mthe wires on the nstarter there is a bolt on wire that is proably alright and a clip on wire this one is a good bet if it is off clip it on if it is on take it of and clean it if that doesnt work put the car in neutral brake on pull the wire off and touch to the bolt on wire with igniotion on if it turns the staRTER NEEDS TO BE REPLACED