Older Bug vs Super Bug

Asked by Oct 27, 2011 at 10:39 AM about the 1966 Volkswagen Beetle

I am in the process of purchasing a Bug as a daily driver. Grew up with Bugs, older ones of course as I am no spring chicken. We had a '68 Super Beetle which was a lemon, I had one later, same thing. Need insight into older vs newer...

1,705

Well super beetles didn't come out til 1970. Anyway, it depends on what you want to do. Here is the generals, older bugs are usually worth more. the newer the car, usually the more improvements. For a daily driver, any will work. Supers usually drive a little better since the updated front suspension.

10

I prefer the '69 and '68 Beetles. Not Super. no A/C or A/C removed. no auto-stick. The torsion bar suspension from many years past is present in the standard bug. The macpherson struts and "bigger" nature (Curved windshield?) come with the Super Beetle. I thought the Super Beetle came out later than '68. Look at the heater boxes over the exhaust manifolds. Should blow scorching hot air when the engine is warm. '66 and '67 should be similar to the 68 and simple enough to be trouble free. Conversion to 12v is an option. '68 was an early 12v from the factory model. Swing axle (no CV joints, more like a screwdriver blade on one end). Fixed rear windows on the sides. As simple as a 12V VW ever was. '69 was as good and simple but with IRS (dual CV joints on each side, rear tires remain vertical as they move up and down) and pop-out rear side vent windows. Both were as simple to work on as the 6v models and had little to futz with in the way of extra stuff to break and cause trouble. Both had 1500cc motors originally, but were easy to swap to the 1600cc or dual port motors if that is desired. I identify both by the rear engine cover with no vents or embellishing curves stamped into it. Just the bolted on liscense plate light, etc. The trim curves embossed into the lid indicated to me '67 or older. The vent slots indicated 70's models. Personally, I'd look for a '69. Beware of auto-stick trannys, go for a standard, or replace the tranny with a standard when the time comes. If it has good compression, and drives well... You may have a keeper!

Thank you for your input. I have to admit I am hung up on a 67 with a 1835 CC performance engine with less than 10,000 miles, has dual carbs, dual port aluminum heads, but the factory gas heater. Living in an area where we often hover between 0-20 during winter not sure that would work. It's a beautiful bug, interior and exterior are in awesome shape (all this by ad for sale and a few pictures). Still looking though...my only distaste in the 68's and ups in the looks. It's a girl thing I guess...lol. Thank you again for the input, learning and researching, hoping to get the right one.

10

Gas heater? Sounds like a bus, not a bug. If it's heated by the heat exchangers on the exhaust manifold, then it may be a factory system. Mime took almost a mile before warming the interior much on a cold day. Defrosting was "tough" without firing up the car and coming back in 10 minutes to warm pipes, and warm air once moving... Remember, engine speed pumps the warm air, so at idle, the heat may be there once warmed up, but to move it to the windows and interior, you need to rev up the engine just a bit... driving works best. Take time to understand the heater controls, as they can seem slow to respond unless you have hot pipes at highway speed. (best environment to learn the controls for heat IMHO: highway speed!) Gas heater... hummm..

10

Yup: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3280061 That news to me!!! Nice, but frightening given the state of education these days. It is a gas heater like the busses had!!!

605

Hi The bugs that had the gas heaters was just to heat the cab.it will blow you out of the cab if it works write but hard on gas. have fun n good luck.

25

The gas heater is very rare. They were only put in the cars that traveled around the mountains and colder climates. The gas heaters work extremely well and very fast. Personally I have only seen one in my life. I talked to the guy at Archway bugs about them for a while and he said that they Really don't use that much gas

10

Is 68 69 rear windows the same