bay window gearbox

50

Asked by Feb 22, 2011 at 06:08 AM about the 1966 Volkswagen Beetle

Hi I am new here and I wish to ask a question. Can I fit a bay window gearbox on to my 66 bug? the bay window gearbox is a swing axle as well.

1,635

you sure it's a bay window transaxle? i don't know where you are at, but here in the US bay windows (1968 and up) were irs rear ends. if its a bus box out of a splitty bus yes you can swap it into a bug. they are basically the same except the bus should have gear reduction boxes on it.

50

Hi, thanks for the answer. I haven't really seen the gearbox but I am assuming as the guy told me it is not an IRS and it is off a bay window. I will come back to the forum when I see the gearbox. Thanks again mate!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. I live in Malta A small Island in the Mediterranean with a good number of Volkswagen enthusiasts. :-)

1,635

Been there. Beautiful place. Being overseas, it most likely is a swingaxle. It should bolt up fine. Here the swings stopped in 68 in the bug, 67 in the bus. I know in england the swing carried on till 77 I believe. You will have to use your brakes axles and tubes off your current transaxle due to the bus reduction boxes, and longer axles

50

thanks mate if ever you come back again just give me an e-mail. you can find me on face book as charlie dingli