what can i do to make sure my bug stays in good condition? what warning signs should i look out for?

25

Asked by Sep 05, 2007 at 08:07 AM about the 1966 Volkswagen Beetle

i would like to keep my car for a long time. slowly restore it because i don't have lots of funds available for the restoration right now. this is my first car. please give me good pointers on how to keep it in good shape. i really love my bug!

10

Chrissie: A good start is to purchase the book "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive" by John Muir. You can get it by mail order at various sites... BFY Obsolete Parts (bfyobsoleteparts.com); Wolfsburgwest (wolfsburgwest.com); or at Mid American Motorworks (mamotorworks.com). It normally sells for $25.00-$30.00. The cheapest is at bfy obsolete parts at $24.99. This is a great start for you. Hope this helps. George

Chrissie: The most important thing about keeping any older vw running is in the motor. Have the valves checked for clearence. They have solid lifters and need checked periodically. If you don't know if it has been done or not, have it done by someone who will stand behind the work, and pay close attention, as its not hard to do and with a minimum of tools. George is right, get a book. Good luck

435

1. Make sure you have the proper amount of oil in the engine. Contrary to what everyone says, the beetle's engine is not air cooled - it is oil cooled! 2. Make sure you have the proper valve clearance - do this every 5,000 miles. As long as you can hear them clicking you are OK. 3. Buy the book by MUIR. Check it out at: http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101 4. Do not overrev the engine. Do not lug the engine. 5. Enjoy!

60

Leave your valves a little loose, better to hear them than not. Change plugs with the season: Hotter in Winter, colder in summer. Keep on top of the shift lever bushes -they wear out. Use synthetic engine oil - probably the best thing you can do to keep it going forever. The VW is basically an aircraft engine, cooling is critical. Someone used to make stainless steel heat exchangers, if they still are available, and you want warm feet in the winter, they are a good investment. Spray the entire undercarriage and inner fenders with POR 15, if it's already rust free.

I have a 2016 Beetle and I love it! So far so good! I'm just mainly worried about the paint chipping due to the heat here in CA