65 VW

Asked by Jun 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM about the 1965 Volkswagen Beetle

Am nearing restoration of 65 beetle just cannot get the filler plug out to put new transmission fluid in.. Have drained old but to no avail getting plug out.. any suggestions please..

2,505

this is the reason you ALWAYS pull the fill plug out first.but now that you have emptied out the trans ,if you take a propane torch and heat the area around the plug ,just hot enough to melt some beeswax into the threads the beeswax will get into the area around the corrosion.And I am assuming this is what you are dealing with? be certain that you have the correct tool for pulling the fill plug out if it is the 17 mm hex and you strip it out then you are in for a fun time.If the hex gets stripped then it's going to be some very very careful work with a sharp chisel bit and an air chisel

Thank you for the reply and we will be trying your method... It is a car being done up ready for my 20 year old son ... and Yes we have learnt a valuable lesson here. Thank you very much for the answer and I will let you know how we get on .. hopefully on the right track..