how to relese hood ,stuck 1/2 latched

Asked by Mar 02, 2012 at 04:51 PM about the 1965 Volkswagen Beetle

have 1965 vw beetle rather good shape stopped to fill up gas closed did not close all way ,about 2 inch gap on front ,it's tight can't wiggle ,will not close ,will not open ,I am new to vw world and love it ,if can help at all before I damage if by force
                                                              tks.
                                                               ron

1,635

Pull the handle under the dash, and have somebody else try and lift the hood. If this doesnt work, does the release handle under the dash feel like it has tension on it? Basically there is a cable that runs from this handle to the hood release mech. If this cable breaks or comes undone you have this problem. Sometimes the spring gets weak and the hood doesnt pop far enough when u pull the handle, hence the reason I suggested holding the release handle out while somebody else tries to lift hood.

225

Hi ron,I am new to this bug craze also I have '71 super beetle i took the engine out.My hood release is in the glove compartment but to gas up it is not necessary to pull that release.My release is hard to pull any ways you might have to do some forcing -one person out and one in as Chris suggested,hope you succeed without damage.

10

Chris I'm having a simpler problem with my bug. Bonet just wount bug and I've got an mot booked next week. Ill try what you sajested but if that doesn't work, do you have any other sajestions please ? Many thanks bex