65 VW Bug brake restoration

Asked by May 08, 2011 at 01:01 AM about the 1965 Volkswagen Beetle

I have a 65 bug which I have been told I need a complete brake restoration, I mean
complete. What should I expect to pay for such a task.

1,615

alot depends on your location. california is usually cheaper since you can get parts without having them shipped. what do you consider complete? do you need the metal brake lines changed? figure this, for brake shoes, soft lines and wheel cylinders about $60 per wheel for parts. new master cylinder $50 for a decent one, $100 for german. all new metal lines $50. new resevoir and lines $40. that's about $350+ in parts. then figure around $60 per hour for a shop to do the install. it should run around 3 hours for everything except metal lines. figure another 2 hours for that. So $350 (parts)+ $180 (labor w/o metal lines)= $530. $650 with new metal lines. this doesn't include tax!!

70

RESTORATION SOUNDS EXPENSIVE..IF YOU HAVE THE DOWNTIME..YOU MIGHT COULD DO IT YOURSELF...MASTER CYL, WHEEL CYLS CHECK YOUR BRAKE SHOES...MAYNOT NEED THEM BUT IF QUESTIONABLE NOW IS THE TIME TO DO IT...LOTS OF KITS TO DO THE WHOLE JOB AND PLENTY OF ADVICE...GOOD LUCK...JZBUG