What is the fuel reserve valve position for 'Reserve' for a 1957 Bug? Up or to the right?

10

Asked by Jan 15, 2007 at 12:34 PM about the 1957 Volkswagen Beetle

8,705

I think it is in the up position, but I would email Volkswagen directly and ask them.

70

When the lever is in the UP position, the tank will only drain down to the top of the reserve level (this will leave a little over a gallon of gas in reserve). If the lever is in this position and the car starts to sputter (running out of gas), you can move the lever over to RIGHT position with your foot to allow the "Reserve" amount left in the tank to run to the engine. The most important thing to remember is that you MUST return the lever to the UP position after your next fill-up. Otherwise, later - if the engine starts to sputter and you move your foot over to move the lever to the right, you will discover that you have already used up your "Reserve." I know - I did it ONCE.

The reserve lever actually moves the valve in the bottom of the gas tank from a taller pipe to a shorter pipe. I know as my short pipe was plugged, so before getting it fixed I learned to calculate the mileage remaining before a refill was needed.