Asked by Jul 07, 2011 at 09:51 PM about the 1954 Volkswagen Beetle

I thought I had send this question with no reply.

I would like to know exactly what type of gasoline to use in a 1954 volkswagen.
regular, unleaded or super unleaded.
Also for a 1974 super beetle which type of gasoline to use for more efficiency, thank you.

You don't the answer to these two question? champ

Sorry disregard my last post reply please, my mistake. champ

to get technical, you should run the LOWEST octane gas you can without pre detonation. runnign to high of an octane will cause carbon deposits to form inside the engine since all the gas will not burn. this results in engine problems, and lower mile per gallon. if the engine is stock, the compression ratio should be below 8 to 1. in this case 87 octane should be fine. if you hear detonation, go up to the next octane rating and see if the detonation stops. if so, stay there. there is a big misconception that the higher octane contains more power. this is NOT true. the higher octane burns SLOWER and is HARDER to burn. when you build a motor with higher compression ratios there is more cylinder pressure. the more pressure the more heat is generated inside the cylinder upon compression. lower octane will acutally burn BEFORE the spark ignites it. this is bad!! so racers run a higher octane so the compression does NOT cause the gas mixture to burn until the spark ignites it.