where can I find tire tubes for my 54 volks.

Asked by Jan 31, 2011 at 06:46 PM about the 1954 Volkswagen Beetle

where can I find tire tubes for my 54 volkswagen?

1,615

only need tubes if you run bias ply tires. if you run radials you won't need them. personally if your going to drive the car, get radial tires. if it's a show only car, and a correct restoration (down to the last detail) then call coker tire.

The reason I need tire tubes is because I'm losing air around the tire or rim and tires deflate. Do you think the rubber seal is broken if so I need to have them all redone, right. My rims are very old, thanks. 54champ

1,615

if you are running bias tires you need tubes. if radials NO tubes. if you have a leak in your tires we need a couple questions answered. is it one tire, or all tires? are the rims old? are the rusty? how old are the tires? when you changed tires last time, did you change the valve stems? all these things play into it. if it's one tire, you may have a small hole in the tire, a bad rim, a bad stem, or even rust around the lip of the wheel where the bead of the tire seals. if it's all the tires doing the same thing, it would more likely be rusty lip of wheels, bad stems, or the tires are so old they are dry rotten and cracking. tubes will NOT help with radial tires, and will make the tires wear in funny patterns, and can be dangerous. the side walls of radial tires are different than bias tires, and the tubes are not designed for them. plus if your rims are rusty inside, then they will just slowly poke holes in the tubes!