HELP, with restarting the 1989 VW GOLF!

Asked by Feb 27, 2011 at 02:44 PM about the 1989 Volkswagen Golf

I am having a question with the Diesel model of this car. When the car is cold it starts right up! No Problem. But after I have been driving a while and shut it off, it will not start back up, at least not until it is cold. What should I do?

1,615

When you say it will not start after its been running for awhile do you mean the electric stater motor will not turn ? or the engine does crank over but will not fire ?

Thats a great question (not my car, i am investigating for a friend) I am assuming the engine will turn over but not start.

With the warm engine the glow plugs do not come on and maybe there is low compresion in the cylinders and that is a problem. Pedro

5

Definitely low compression. Had that problem in my Mk1 some time ago. The first cylinder had all three piston rings broken and the cylinders were already oval, so did a complete overhaul. Runs fine now