My husband has a 88 Jeep Comanche that has over 300,000 miles on it.

Asked by Feb 13, 2007 at 06:58 PM about the 1988 Jeep Comanche

My husband has a 88 Jeep Comanche that has over 300,000 miles on it. We recently had the entire clutch assembly replaced. Afterwards we started to experience problems with the alternator not charging the battery. We have a brand new battery, the alternator tests out okay and they are saying it is a ground wire problem but they can't seem to find it. Any ideas, thoughts, advice on how to fix this so the alternator will charge????? We would appreciate anything that you could do!

18,775

Hello, If all of your problems came after replacing the clutch assembly, I would recommend taking it back to the mechanic who fixed it and having him do the repairs. It sounds as though he may have knocked a wire loose that may be required for the battery to charge. I hope this works out for you! What a bummer! CarGrrl

Thanks! That is what we have done but no success yet.

It is a jeep Renix system. They had bad problems with grounds. The junction box is crap that is over the brake booster. clean it or take it out and wire direct. take the ground from engine to frame and clean the contact points. also behind left rear light is a ground that ground your lighting and fuel pump, clean that and make sure contact is clean on metal, no paint. I also added a extra large gauge wire from chase to battery and battery to engine.