Can the lower end of the engine be worked on from underneath accessibly?

Asked by Jun 12, 2007 at 09:53 AM about the 1987 Jeep Comanche

I was recently given the comanche.  It has a knock in the engine which increase when given gas.  I suspect the crankshaft or bearings are worn.  Rather than pulling the engine I would like to rework the lower half by going through the oil pan area.  Is this feasible or would I be wasting my time?  I do not have access to a engine picker or a garage so most of the work I will be doing will be in the drive way.

31,795

I'd say its possible but it would be INCREDIBLY hard for you to do it that way.

125

I completely agree with LigtGear. Look on CraigsList for an engine stand (+/- $35), disconnect everything you can from the top & RENT a hoist. If you have to remove the crankshaft from underneath you let yourself in for a ton of problems, not the least of which is SAFETY!! Besides, if you are going to rework the lower half, why not save future problems and do the top end as well?