How do I get my Jeep out of four wheel drive? It's stuck!

Asked by Jan 26, 2007 at 01:57 PM about the 1987 Jeep Wagoneer

Hi Gurus:
My Jeep is stuck in four wheel drive high, the fluid in the transfer case was low but is now at the appropriate level.  I've tried everything from driving in reverse and shifting out, to hitting large pot-holes (this worked once before) and it will not come out of 4WD.  Help!

18,045

Hello, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but perhaps the next thing you should try is going to a mechanic. =D In all seriousness, if it has gotten stuck before and only come out with hitting a pothole, it might not be the safest thing in the world to continue driving around in it. You could also do a preemptive call and see what they say on the phone. I hope that it works out! CarGrrl