So my jeep stalled yesterday and when I restarted it the starter kept cranking over and over. Then when I stopped it and tried to start I have nothing. Maybe starter relay failure?

Asked by Jan 29, 2014 at 05:01 PM about the 1983 Jeep Wagoneer

39,855

I would say that the solenoid blew out. It stuck on and fried itself. Will have to take off starter and have it rebuilt or trade it in for a new one. Check your fuses first and see if you blew any out. Make sure you check all fuses under the hood also. You can try replacing your starter relay first and see where that gets you. Cheaper than a new starter......

Thank you! Battery tests good, starter relay tests good, starter seems to be not getting any power at all. Turn the key and nothing at all. Any more suggestions would be great. Could starter be bad causing it not to receive power which is why I get nothing when turning the key? Oh and fuses check out ok

39,855

If you can get underneath the vehicle, put a test meter on the 12 volt side of the starter and see if any juice is going to it. I would suspect that it is but the solenoid that sits on the side of the starter is fried. If you bring the starter to a rebuild shop, it will cost about 60 bucks to have a new solenoid put on.

Thank you! Turns out the ground wire from the starter cylinoid was shorting somewhere. Cut ground and a new piece of wire from there to battery. Fixed! Now any help or pointers for adjusting the carb would be great, still stalls ALOT. Or shall I buy the $40 kit from O'Reilly ?

39,855

I would buy the rebuild kit and go from there. I've played with carbs forever and gotten nowhere. Sometimes a good rebuild is all it takes!

Is this something a novice can attempt? I can follow instructions and change oil plugs etc easy maintenance type stuff. Or should I leave it for someone with carb experience? Thank you for your time!

39,855

It's not all that difficult. Just lay everything out as you take it apart and you should be okay. But if you're not good at puzzles, bring it to the shop.