how does the 4-wheel drive work?

Asked by Jun 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM about the 1981 Jeep Wagoneer

I bought an 1981 Jeep wagoneer. How does the four wheel lever work. I push all the way don , is it im 4-w low? pull up one notch 2-w drive? all the way back?

10

Interesting! My wife purchased a 1981 wagoneer to restore. After three months of doing some fixing and upgrading I decided to see how the FWD worked. I succeded by placing the transmission in nuetral and with my foot on the brake (just did) and pulled back. It worked. First tries sounded like I was grinding geers. So Monday I am going to call the Jeep mechanic in town.

50

sherman here at vehicle center grand wagoneers, 41 years of wagonneera! you have the hub system, without posi, so, 1st lock your hubs by rotating clockwise, open the glove box and rotate your vacuum switch to 4x4, (might be under the dash a/c , coast forward at 3 mph and apply pressure to the floor laver; you can call me at 626-2881541, also i have an 81 wagoneer for a parts car if you need parts.

hello i was woundering if maby you could help me i bought a 76 jeep wagoneer it ran great then 3 days after getting it i lost power wile driving i replaced battery altanator and fues ran good for about 3 more days then the battery seamed to be dead so i charged it and 2 days later it did the same thang so i put in a togel switch and hard wired it another 3 days went by and dead agin do you have any ideas what might be draning my power? please e mail me at wood.amyn@yahoo.com would be great thank you for your time and help have a great day

40

Hello i just bought a 1988 jeep grand wagoneer and dont know how to get it out of 4 wheel drive low... someone please contact me at (480)709-0613 PLEASE HELP