'74 Wagoneer for towing?

Asked by Aug 04, 2010 at 12:11 PM about the 1974 Jeep Wagoneer

I'm looking to buy a '74 Wagoneer to use to tow my 20' camper (between 3 and 4 thousand lbs.) If i understand correctly, this year comes with either a 258 or 401 cu.i.. Would the smaller engine handle it or would i have to go with the 401? Also, what would i have to do to make sure the brakes can take it as well?

1,375

258 or 4.2l i6 or 5.9l 360 v8. the big boy option was the 401 v8. (if you can find that id go with it) well either engine will have plenty enough power to pull your camper. but the v8s would be your best bet because they comes with a heavier duty brake package. as with any tow vehicle you should never tow more than what your vehicle weighs. or is designed to handle. in short, a wagoneer will do just fine for what you need

I have the 74' Cherokee with the 258 and it is fine for cruising around town or hitting the trails but It barely pulls itself and I wouldn't want to try and pull a trailer. If your towing get the 360 or 401.