I'm getting interested in older Wagoneers but I'm confused. I'd rather not have all-wheel drive and I don't want to get out of the car to lock the hubs. I want to just shift into 4wd - so which years should I look for? Does quadratrack mean all-wheel drive?

Asked by Oct 13, 2014 at 07:59 PM about the 1973 Jeep Wagoneer

Well, I've done some more research and I think I've answered my own question. Please let me know if any of this is in error: Prior to 1967 Kaiser/Jeep made 2wd and 4wd Wagoneers. After 1967 only the 4wd was produced. These were all part-time 4wd that continually turned the drive train and necessitated manually locking the hubs for 4wd. AMC introduced Quadra-trac in 1973, which allowed you to shift into the drive train but you still had to manually lock the hubs into 4wd. These were quieter and got better mpg. Selec-trac, introduced in 1983, eliminated the locking hubs with a dashboard switch to engage 4wd. I'm not particularly interested in the Command-trac, etc. of the later years. Is this right?