Will the fsj cherokee grill fit the grand wagoneer?

Asked by Sep 26, 2010 at 04:03 PM about the 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

2,695

yep, all 1979 and newer full size jeep grills are interchangeable. for period correct look, fits as follows: 1979-1983 wagoneer and grand wagoneer 1984-85 and 1979-1985 J trucks are all the same one piece full plastic grill. then when amc was bought out in 1986, chrylser changed the interior and the front grill to a multi-piece grill with a metal outside frame, separate plastic headlight bezels which just screwed to the metal grill frame an then a plastic grill center insert that also screwed to the metal grill frame. since the extra pieces bolt to the grill frame, there were no grill mounting changes so they are all interchangeable. NOTE: 1978 and prior grills are not be interchangeable due to the round headlights instead of square ones. also, hood emblems where not installed until 1986 with the new grill

Thanks Kurt..I think the cherokee grill looks more jeepy..My wagoneer grill looks like they may have taken it off of a dodge truck...Hummm, Now to find a cherokee grill..

5

I like your jeep have one like it how did you lift your jeep ? thanks

2,695

To lift it that high, first, i started off with a (SOA) spring over axle kit on the front, and the shackle flip kit on the rear. That gives these about 7 inches of lift, and when you do the soa kit, you also have to install the cross-over steering kit because the front springs will hit the tie rod ends. The best reason to do this size lift this way, is because this way, you still use the stock springs so you still retain the good ride, and you don't use blocks which can cause axle hop. Many other lift kits come with high arch springs, the higher the lift the more arch the springs will have however this greatly reduces the ride quality and you will have a harsh and bumpy ride. I wanted bigger so I also added front lift shackles and blocks on the rear to give it an additional 2 inches of lift for a total of 9 inches of lift. Of course they are a lot more things you have to do for a lift. 0-3 inch lift your ok, but anything more than 3 inches will require new shocks, new brake hoses, and a drop pitman arm, and anything over 5 inches also requires new custom length drive shafts, and a custom fabricated front frame crossmember due to the front driveshaft interference, a steering gear box and frame brace because if you are lifted that high, you are probably going to be running a much larger tire which causes a lot more stress on steering parts. And with larger tires, you will want to change axle gear ratios, and you will want to upgrade the brake system as well. NEVER run a tire larger than 33inch without upgrading the brakes unless you like rear ending people because it won't stop.

Amc was bought out in 87,which was the 25th yr.in the making!

Hey just for the record. Kurt didn't do any of that work... I did.