My JGW is flooding intermitantly so badly it doesn't start again for 24hrs!

Asked by Mar 14, 2009 at 03:23 PM about the 1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

My mechanic says he doesn't know whats going on... he is a specialist jeep mechanic and rebuilt this engine so he knows it in and out. Why does it only flood now and then... and why so badly it won't start for a day? I need to fix it!  

1,245

i assume its a carbed wagoner, if so see if you can get another carb from anther car/truck and see what happens. this will at least 100% guarentee its the carb, and not too much pressure in the fuel lines. ( that can sometimes cause flooding, but it would be constant not intermitting) if you cant get another carb my guess is that it has a sticky float, which is sticking down intermittently and causing the carb to overfill and flood the engine

35

Well a carb is naturaly worse between that and fuel injection. Mine will do that every once in a while espesially on hot days or after speeding, but not to that extent that you're speaking of. Um,well maybe the throttle cable from gas pedal to carb is too tight or loose or maybe some sort of sticking of the pedal making it flood that bad. Maybe the gas/oil mixture ratio is a bit wrong. Hope this advice helps.

do you overfill your gastank? ifso then you got raw gas in your emisions canister. diconnect it for a few monthes and put it back on. its made for gas vapor not raw gas. i had that happen with my first car.