Dear friends, I write from Italy.I own a beautiful 1988 Grand WagonnerThe car has been stationary 5 years for family reasons but now I'm reliving a dream.Unfortunately, doing a fault and my meccanco (Jeep) can not figure out what it is. The car will turn a good start then suddenly turns off and goes.after 5 minutes again, and so on until the next time.Can you help me with the Vs. experience?What we have to change or what we have to check?thanks to all of you. My mail is orso@midwayadv.com

Asked by Jun 05, 2014 at 02:18 PM about the 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

242,465

After sitting for 5 years, the fuel and all fluids, oil, coolant etc. should be changed out with fresh fluids before starting. I suspect the fuel is no good. How are all the hoses? Dried and cracked ?

Water pump, fuel pump, oil, liquid etc etc distributor, changed. I had not thought to pipes that may have contaminated the fuel tank to the carburetor. Notice the mechanic. Meanwhile, if you could think of something different, you know. Thank you. I verify and I can tell you as soon as I know something. thanks

I have read that there are new systems motorcraft. Can you tell me where you can buy them and have them shipped to Italy? I also read that some have transformed the system from carburetors to fuel injection. There are starter kits or you have to try it yourself? What are the best websites to find parts and solutions for the GW? There are workshops with tough people who can give advice to the Italian mechanic via email?

2,985

Yep, im sure it has bad fuel after 5 years. Have you tried spraying starting fluid thru the carb when it dies? How long does it run before it dies? You really need to remove the fuel tank and get is washed out, good news, the tanks on these are plastic so you wont have a big rust issue there however the fuel pump pickup and sending unit are metal and may have rusted. Flush out the lines, install a new fuel filter, and you will also need to take the carburetor off and take it apart and have it cleaned out and rebuilt even if working, to prevent future problems. There are lots of tiny holes the fuel need to travel thru and tiny spec of dirt or bad fuel plugs up carburetors. Don't know if FORD was popular in Italy but the Jeep has a very simple 2bbl FORD carb that would have been on any early mid 60s to early 80s FORD, LINCOLN, or MERCURY so anyone that knows those cars should be able to rebuild and adjust the carb for you. I would replace the fuel pump as well, they are very common to fail due to a rubber diaphragm that dries out and cracks, esp when not ran in several years. I am a huge Jeep grand wagoneer fan, if you check out my garage here you will see I have several. Personally I would skip the fuel injection, i dont know anyone that has like it, they need constant adjustment, and they never run right. Properly tuned carb, good tune up and you cant tell the difference from a carb to fuel injection. Best sites for parts I know of are in United states of course and are teamgrandwagoneer.com wagoneerworld.com fsjjeepparts.com and one of my favorites is bjsofforad.com the name is strange but the specialize in grand wagoneers and are very helpful.