There are BB like balls in my R12 sight glass. Is it supposed to be there?

20

Asked by Apr 14, 2013 at 05:38 PM about the 1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I have an 87 Grand Wagoneer. The R12 compressor blew a seal and leaked out majority of the R12. The sight
glass has something like oily BBs. I have never noticed them when the system was charged with R12. I am
keeping the R12 system. I just do not know if the BBs are normal or where they came from.

I have a mechanic helping me fix the A/C and recharge it with old cans of R12. We are stuck with the BB
question.

Help!

William C.

yes. It shows the flow going on there. Why else are you going to need a sight glass if there is no evidence of flow?

20

Are the bbs supposed to be directly within the sight glass itself?

not knowing too much, could reseach- same as you but R12 was replaced with R-134a as I recall, so it makes with the Beeflat (in musical terms) or bubbles, the system must be evacuated and a new filter/drier outfitted then completely vacated to issue and uncontaminated stream of refrigerant...perhaps it's telling us this stream is contaminated? perhaps this is normal? if the compressor is turnin' and there is a balance between the evaporator and condenser sides (charge is correct) things are right-skippy then aren't they? if this unit doesn't work probably need proper air conditioning service~

78,195

What are the high and low pressures like? Has the system been disabled for a long time? Low pressure should be around 32 at idle, high should be between 125 and 150 depending on outside temp. If the system been disabled for a while the oil in the system mat have settled and will take a while to get recombined with the R12 and circulated in the system, then the BB's should dissipate..

20

I found my own answer to my own question. The Accumulator/Dryer broke and dessicant went into my liquid line where the sight glass is. Not a good thing! "Thank you William, You are welcome William." :-)

....myeah...a wise guy...eh...why I oughtta~

hope you've never eaten those dessicant packets by mistake, or sprinkled them on your fries...

why did this happen, William? defective shroeder valve?