Is there a known fuel issue with a 1984 grand wagoneer

Asked by May 31, 2014 at 03:37 AM about the 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

I was given a 1984 grand wagoneer that has a 360 in it. It was sitting in a field for over a year, but I love these tanks and the price was right. Body and interior are mint other then missing wood panels. I figured even if I had to replace the motor it was worth it. I got it home and put a little gas in the carb, crossed fingers, and turned it over. It fired right up then died after it burned off the fuel. I put a little more gas in the carb and this it ran a little bit longer and sounded nice (was smooth and quiet) then died again. The carb looks fairly new and the engine is clean, no visible oil. I thought maybe due to sitting the half tank of fuel it had was to old, so went and got a jerry can and added some new gas to try and freshen it up (about 10 liters) and still the same thing, runs like a dream as long as you put gas in the carb then dies once it burns off. I figure I will start by replacing the fuel filter but was wondering if there are known issues with this particular setup or if anyone has any advice of where I should start testing first.
Any help would be appreciated.

108,745

First thing to do is to get all the gas out of the tank. (Use it to kill ants or something) Condensation will be all in there. Once all the gas is out add new gas and some sea foam to the fuel tank. Then remove the fuel line from the carb and turn engine over till you have pumped all the old gas out of the line and pump. (Have some way set up to catch all the bad gas). If no gas come out go ahead and replace fuel pump. Yours is only about $40 or so. If gas pumps out and when you get to smelling fresh gas reattach fuel line. Now change fuel filter. With all this done you should be up and running. If not it will probably need carb cleaned to get all the gunk out but most times what I have stated gets cars that have been sitting for a while back up and running.

2,935

dandyoun has a great answer, everything i would have said!! Check out my garage, you will see some nice, and some not so nice Grand Wagoneers.