what other vehicles will a 2.5 litre jeep engine fit into?

Asked by Mar 25, 2013 at 08:10 PM about the 1987 Jeep Cherokee

I have a 1987 jeep cherokee that I cannot get to start.
After installing a new starter it started one time and now i cannot get power to ANYTHING! I believe I have a dead short somewhere. I would rather install the newer engine in a different vehicle because this old jeep has definately seen its better day and I need something much more dependable.

Part it out, and buy a new Chevy truck (or an eleven airbag scion)~ If the motor is still good could fetch $500~

it's just you aren't going to see "dependable" from anything that old~

for the first time in your life, buy a NEW car~ and quit worryin'~

try to buy American....some of us are still filled with national pride~ baseball, hotdogs apple pie and Chevrolet~

Best Answer

please not korean kia or highNdry~

Michael Tutty

If you are getting no power, the answer may be as simple as a fusible link that needs changing, a $10 repair. As for the 2.5l, that 4 cylinder is a G.M. engine, and I'm afraid has next to no retail value. If you wand to replace the jeep, part it out, unless you can sell it, which sounds unlikely. I agree with the buy North American advice. By the way, the NEWEST car in my family is a 1990 Volvo 240 owned my my Mom. My car is a 1978 Mercury Grand Marquis. Lust because a vehicle is old does not mean it is not reliable, nor does having new mean it will be. I laugh at the number of people tell me to buy new, and my car sees the shop less often, and MUCH less expensively than their new cars.

Thanks for all the input and expertise.I really do appreciate it. However is "jeep" not american made or are you guys just being smart asses? I am obviously not a car expert or I would not have needed to come to this site.

well golly, tie me up and feather me. What do I know if car companies change ownerships? doooh. experts...try taking a shower in coolant, try having a defective lift try to drop on your head. Try a Ford Ranchero slip out of gear and pin you to a wall, thanks for your validation on my lack of "car expert" my friend. will get your ass kicked within a week on the job, takes a certain order of mongrel to survive the lifestyle, and a learning curve that in today's world makes a professional from 93-96 look foolish, but all the same rules apply to today's buggies, so if I don't happen to know if General Purpose vehicles aren't being made here, doesn't surprise me...what ever happened to Willy's Jeep? are they being made in Indonesia now? who knows anymore? do you?

lookin' back didn't one of us mention Jeep. lay off with your attacks, we are here to help you with your difficulties....all the same rules still apply-

Figure it out your self then wdbuzz, you got one thing right, you're not a car expert, killed too many brain cells huffing WD40, Go ahead, try another site, have your credit card ready. Oh, you don't have a credit card it ...is too dangerous to allow you to have anything that can be sharpened where you are.

Hey guys!! I apologise for my rude comments!! Im frustrated and annoyed at this whole jeep deal. I rteally do appreciate your expertise and information. especially you Judge....Im sorry!! have a good day!

Speaking for myself, apology accepted and frustration understood. Good day my friend

No. really my friend do welcome all opinions...especially when they are a decision that I'm able to live with. Designs over the last 20 years have left this ole' boy on a learning curve, and I applaud you for sticking with us~ One may hope to be 'expert in ALL makes and models' but must rely on what we know...not what we think we know...kudos~

still waiting for someone to buy a decommissioned police interceptor, these have a crazy 5.6 liter engine, are made from the best stuff (for law enforcement use) and are around 9 grand....probably less, if you can find one at auction~

Michael Tutty

Judge: Remember, the General Purpose has not been made in many decades. Yes, the Jeep brand is an American Icon, but unfortunately, no longer part of an American-owned company. First, American Motors bought out Willys. Then they merged with Renault, which is French, then Chrysler bought them. Chrysler was, for a while, part of Daimler-Benz which, as we all now is German, and now, Chrysler, hence Jeep, is owned by the Italian Government, by way of Fiat! Damn, this gets muddle-headed trying to figure out what is and what is not a domestic product any more! That said, I would stick with a truly North American vehicle. The engineers here do know how to build for our conditions, all of them! Also, stay away from these silly cross-over SUV things that I call "Trucklets". You will actually get better real world economy out of a full sized Tahoe or Suburban than the smaller things.

amen, Michael. you make sense, dude!

OK!! This time im asking for some advice BFORE I make a decision. Upon everyone's advice Ive decided to look for an AMERICAN vehicle. A friend has offered to sell me a 1983 chevy w/ 125000 miles on it , straight body ,350 engine, standard transmission 1 owner for 800 dollars. Can you offer some advice as to what else I should check befor final decision.I had a similar trk in the past,had great luck with it the auto trns went out so i sold it. Thanks an I promise i'll be nice!!lolol

That is a Joyous bit of news as you will have NO trouble finding replacement parts which are plentiful, if you can tolerate a ragged interior, which can be un-nerving and a pain to replace? is it sound same year has my high school graduation, seems like a lifetime away, wonder just how tough it is, if the front end has fresh tie-rod ends, control arms are tight yet, the front end shouldn't be wonky, that there's gonna cost ya couple three hundred to put right, a new set of tires will put you back, a new car stereo, The A/C work, that there's kind of a big deal, lots of reasons to discount this sale~

the tightness of the front end, you don't want it to be sloppy, especially on snow and ice and 'grooved' roads that grab the wheel~

I could put you in touch with a Jeep, it's probably not American, and only needs a motor, a Jasper engine remanufactured engine is guaranteed and painted a pleasant green color~....might be a possibility.

ok roy i will be to consider the jeep body if it will take a 2.5 litre engine. I don't know what a jasper engine is. and thanks alot for the feedback on the chevy. If you look as good as this trk does for an 83 you look GREAT!! It is obvious that you ar running well LOLOL

they are expensive...but RIGHT. and guaranteed!

michael's $10 dollar repair is probably the right answer, if we'd hold onto our hats for a minute...

remanufactured for $1700- http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REMAN- JEEP-WRANGLER-CHEROKEE-2-5-LITER-ENGINE-1997-2002- /271063581474? pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1ca60322&vxp=m tr

Michael Tutty

If the problem with the Jeep is beyond the repair of a fusible link, then that old truck for that money sounds like one rip-snorting deal, provided the body is solid. Doesn't have to be perfect, but solid. Parts are dirt cheap to buy and very easy to install. Anything you want for it is readily available at many places, including LMC. I would not even think twice about that one. Thy the way, with the automatic in these, a Chevy THM400 can be rebuilt for under a grand, or replaced with used for under $500. Dirt cheap and common as dirt, too. This one, though, has both the manual trans, and the 350, and that combo is a true winner! Grab it and enjoy.

Gary Soares

1984 and up 2.5 engines are jeep engines not the chevy 2.5 of the years 1981-1983.

will oil saturate a starter enough to affect the start as in not getting enough juice to the starter? It sounds like the bendix are not working

Change the started and solenoid and check the connections to the battery turn key should start and if enoght oil is on it it may not start you can clean easy and cheap Dollar Store oven cleaner and spray off with water does good job cleaning try that and good luck hope it was helpfull