auto repair

Asked by Dec 28, 2009 at 06:43 PM about the 1987 Jeep Cherokee

it won't start. it doesn't turn over and pumping the gas doesn't make any difference. the more i try, the more it wears down the battery. fuel injection problem?

65

Can you tell us anything else about what its doing. I mean does the engine not at crank over or does it crank over but doesn't ignite (run). Well if its not turning over then it shouldn't be a fuel problem, sounds like you have a electric issue. Check your battery, maybe it doenst have enough juice to start it. If the battery is fine check your starter connections and wiring for lose ends or for a short in the wiring. Do the same with sensors, make sure all are connected. You may want the check your grounds too.

25

Fuel pump. Its an in-tank fuel pump too which means you have to drop the tank in order to replace it. Good luck.

65

Well you may not have to drop the tank. I know some years require you too, but on my 90 I didn't have to drop the tank when I replaced mine. It was located on the front of the gas tank.

65

Sounds more like a crank position sensor to me, thats more likely then the fuel pump to be honest with you. Especially if it just all the sudden up and died. If the crank sensor isnt working you usually will get no spark. If you get a spark using the screwdriver test then its most likely the fuel pump or possibly a TPS sensor!

5

it might just be a fuel pump fuse

i have a cherockee sports 1998 and my cable for mt hood broke ! what a do to open it ?

45

Install a set of hood pins. Theyre like $20 from NAPA or Auto Zone

did you give it a shot of either (starting fluid)?

7,205

these vehicals this year had a problem with the connector at the firewall just above the valve cover. Jeep makes a repair kit to bypass connector. It will come w/harness and new crank position sensor. But before you condem the connector, unhook the crank sensor wire from the holders on the eng. one on head bolt and the other on bell housing bolt if I remember correctly. and give te wire a firm tug and try to restart. if it starts, you need crank sensor. they are also notorios for blowing the hose off the fuel pump inside the tank. ck for fuel press. at the fuel rail. there is a port to hook up gauge. press shradder valve and see if gas squirts out. Hope this info. helps.......