were is th fuel pump?

Asked by Sep 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM about the 1986 Jeep Cherokee

My freidn has a 86 cherokee with the 4.0 fuelinjected engine and we are wondering if the fuel pump is in the tank?

90

yes it is in the tank

25

yea i had to replace the fuel pump in my 92 cherokee, its in the tank on the top close to the axel its easier to get to by dropping the tank, but it not imposible to just swap pumps with out dropping the tank...

15

If it's an '86, he doesn't have the 4.0L engine, as the 4.0 didn't come out until '87. Either he has the 2.5 four cylinder, or 2.8 V6, assuming it actually is an '86.

5

Correct me if I'm wrong but if he has AMC's straight-6 should be a 4.2L (258cu) now as far as the previous post said the fuel pump should be located near the top. My personal opinion is drop the tank to reduce any complications you may come across.

35

it depends on if it has a mechanical pump or electric

15

Lukas: The XJ Cherokee never came with a 4.2 engine. The full size SJ Cherokee did, as well as the CJ and YJ Wranglers, However, none of them were fuel injected, they were all carb'ed. In fact, it wouldn't even be an easy swap to put a 4.0 or 4.2 into an '84-'86 XJ Cherokee, as AMC/Jeep had to modify the front end of the XJ in order to accomodate the longer length of the inline 6 cylinder engine compared to the inline four or V6 engines. Being that both the 2.5 and 2.8 engines as used in the XJ were carb'ed engines, I suspect that the original poster has listed the wrong year, and in fact has an '87+ Cherokee. If it is a later model with the 4.0, the fuel pump will at the forward top of the tank, and will be visible from underneath the vehicle without dropping the tank. Even on stock Cherokees, I've never had to drop a tank in order to get the fuel pump out (although a 6.5" lift makes the job a LOT easier, lol). If it is an '86 Cherokee, it could either be a throttle body injected 2.5L inline 4 engine, and the fuel pump will again be in the same location in the tank, or it will be a carb'ed 2.8V6, and that will have a mechanical fuel pump on the engine. I want to say forward passenger side of the block, but it's been many years since I've played with one of those 2.8s, so it might be on the driver's side. Either way, it will be a mechanical pump attached to the block. '84 and '85 Cherokees with the 2.5 should also be carb'ed, thus will also have mechanical pumps attached to the block somewhere.

I am changing my pump on my 1986 Cherokee Chief with a 2,5L, this is the second time. I simply jacked it up and removed it from the front of the tank. Never had a problem and the tank needs not to be lowered. Have fun, it's a bries.

How can I submit a questio