77 Cherokee.... lift options and more questions...

Asked by Feb 18, 2007 at 03:22 AM about the 1977 Jeep Cherokee

...... I see you know something about the 77 Cherokee... so I thought I'd ask a few questions if you do not mind.
I am a IH Scout guy.... and generally know everything about them.... but not too proud to say I know NOTHING about Jeeps!
I met the owner of a really nice 77 full size Cherokee today... and helped him with a thermostat problem. (he was fairly mechanically inept)  He then asked if I could help him build up his Cherokee (is it a "Chief"??).
It is a 2 door "fulltime 4x4" as he told me, 360 v8, auto.  It has sealed from hubs, so they must be fulltime or auto lockers.... and there is a "FULL - LOW RANGE" lever under the right hand dropped from the drivers seat.
It is spring over... and they springs seem fairly flat and "swimmy" on corners.  There is a 1" metal lift block between springs and axle tube.  Also the front end has VERY LONG shackles that are about 6" or so from bolt to bolt.
I do not know how much of this is stick or standard... but wanted to paint you the picture of what I was looking at.
A previous owner did a hack job on wiring... so that will be straight forward but a nightmare.
The questions I have are:
-what is this thing?
-what additives go in the diffs... limited slip or standard?
-what are the best lift spring set-ups?  I want to lift it about 4"-6", and not by stacking lift blocks.
I know from Scouts that "Rough Country" and "Tuff Country" are crap... so what do the Jeep guys really suggest?
Triangle? / Rancho? / Superlift?  Is there a part number you can suggest, and what are the price ranges?
I am assuming I get rid of the long shackles and go with stock?.... how long were the stack ones?
I think that is it for now... thanks and I look forward to your reply.
-Steve Bigler   (stevebigler@ca.rr.com)
*Oh also... behind the chrome grill there is clearly the set-up for a second set of headlights, but there are no buckets or anything -just the cutouts.  Is this standard too?

17,205

Hello, So many detailed and good questions! I'm not the local Jeep expert, but while you are waiting for that person to arrive, I recommend going to AutoZone and checking out their repair guides. To do this, go to http://www.autozone.com and click "Repair Guides" in the left navigation area. Enter in the 1977 Jeep Cherokee. Then hit "Vehicle Repair Guides," and you can start reading about working on the 77 Cherokee. I hope this helps! CarGrrl