repair help

35

Asked by Jun 08, 2007 at 06:14 PM about the 1977 Jeep Cherokee

I picked up an amazing deal in the form of a 1977 FS Cherokee that was not running. The seller had attempted to fix it himself and somehow grounded the whole electrical system out by bolting the main power wire for the fuse box to the fender. I have fixed this problem and it cranks now, but the Jeep still won't start. The seller told me that the carb needed to be replaced, but this is the same guy that sold me his Jeep for next to nothing because he got his wires crossed. I have spark to the plugs, and when I add gas straight down the carb. it acts like it wants to start but has only fired once and only for a second before it died out. I have one week to fix it so I can drive it cross country or I will have to sell it and that is not an option. Please help me, I don't have enough money to throw parts at it. I need an educated opinion.

22,290

Hi pyrogecko! There are a numbers of areas to look at here. Here is a link to a no-start troubleshooting guide that will help you organize your search. Good luck! http://www.samarins.com/diagnose/index.html