ignition switch too long for rod?

25

Asked by Jun 12, 2007 at 01:39 PM about the 1977 Jeep Cherokee

the ignition switch for the 77 is too long it binds up so tight you cant turn the key. I have used both tilt and notilt switchs and still cant fix it. What am i doing wrong?

345

Did you try adjusting the hold-down screws that mount the ign switch? They're slotted, you know! Make sure that the top of the rod is fitted properly in to the rack at the top side of the column and hasn't popped out of the slide on the rack. Best way I found to adjust them is to place ignition lock into ACC position which is all the way up, Pull down on ign switch, tighten up switch, turn key to on and then to DETENT or Start position, if engine starter engages you have it right, if not, move ign switch up slightly until it engages and lock it down.