Do I need to get a new motor for my 2007 Dodge Charger 3.5L

70

Asked by Sep 17, 2014 at 08:37 PM about the 2007 Dodge Charger

My husband had the oil change and the filter was faulty. All of the oil leaked out and the
motor shut off. Before this happened the car was in excellent condition.  The car only has
65990 miles on it.  He never put anymore oil back in it. He just parked it in the back yard.
What should I do?

34,165

Have you contacted the oil change franchise? It seems to me that there is some responsibility there.

70

Yes, my then husband went to the store were he purchased the filter. They messed the paperwork up twice. By the time the paperwork was completed and the filter was sent back to the company for testing, they sent a letter stating the the filter was bad, but it was over 30 day warranty.

34,165

Smoke and mirrors. They muck up the paperwork twice and now it's your problem because of there inability to possess the paperwork work on time? Additional, It's someones job to say NO in hope's that you will go away. Write letters to the heads of each company involved. Explain that you are prepared to go to the end of the earth and contact every media out let you can find and tell them about the poor quality of the filter and the way you were treated. Lost paperwork....... Sounds like the IRS.

70

They messed the paperwork up on purpose. I tried to get my husband to stay on top of it, but of course he told me to let him handle it. It has been almost 3 years, I just want to get it fixed.

34,165

Oh..... Well the statute of limitations has long since expired. If it's been sitting for 3 years then other problems have most likely aroused. From dried out seals to critters making it there home. You could donated it to a vocational school or sell it as a part only vehicle on Craigslist or something like that.

70

I'm going to get it fixed. So should I get a new motor or have the one I got rebuilt?

34,165

Get a rebuilt. The engine will come with out the starter, alternator and some other accessories. The mechanic that doze the swap can change those over. My biggest concern is the transmission. Having sat for 3 years its going to be of concern. I don't know of a way to test it without the engine running.

34,165

BTW. Did the engine stop running? Or did it just get parked.

70

The engine just stopped. It never ran hot. We never had any problems. The oil ran out while he was driving and the engine cut off.

34,165

Maybe just MAYBE the engine did NOT seze up. On some cars, and I'm not sure about yours, the engine has a cut off built in to shut it off if the oil pressure drops below a safe level. You may want to get a new battery ( your going to need one anyway) and a good oil filter and 5 quarts of oil and see if it turns over. I'm not going to promise you anything but it is chicken soup. It couldn't hurt. What do you think?

70

I think you are right. Will try it tomorrow and let you know what happens.

34,165

If it turns over it may not start. Old gas turns into varnish. If it turns over and you don't hear any banging sounds, have it towed to a trustworthy mechanic and get an evaluation. I'm curious. Let me know.

67,255

Since it's been sitting for 3 years I'd suggest removing the spark plugs and spray engine fogging oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes. Let it sit overnight then try turning the engine by hand. If it won't turn by hand don't bother going any further. It's time for an engine. I bet that the engine is ok though. It could very well have a low oil cutoff. Many newer vehicles do. HTH. -Jim

70

Thanks for your help. Hope it works

67,255

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

70

Great news Jim. I put a new battery in it for the second time and the motor turned over. The car is trying to crank after 3 yrs. This is the first time that this has happened. Got a certified machanic coming to look at it. I'm very excited. Will keep you informed

67,255

Awesome!! Very glad to hear that. So we know that the engine is not seized. Yes, please keep me posted! - Jim

34,165

That's good news. I'm crossing my fingers.

70

Hey guys, it has been 6 months since I last talked to you. I put a new battery in my charger on Friday, March 27 for the third time and the car cranked and is running great. My machanic checked it out. Just need general maintenance. Thanks for everything.