How do I fix the heat?

Asked by Jan 09, 2007 at 12:17 PM about the 1987 Dodge Caravan

We only get heat when driving the highway???

23,390

Hi Dale! I can give a couple of possible causes here. My first impulse is to question the thermostat, but it could be a matter of an air bubble in the system which needs the pump working at highway speed to defeat the air "dam" (do you hear gurgling in the system?). One other problem may be debris in the heater core. Did you have the system power flushed when this problem started? Those are some of the "easy fixes, I'm going to make the "air bubble" the prime suspect among them. Of course there more serious possibilities here and it may be time to have a pro check things out. Good luck!