727 transmisson problems

Asked by Jan 14, 2011 at 06:56 PM about the 1985 Dodge Ramcharger

i have a 1985 ramcharger wit  a 727 tranny in it. all the forward gears work great but i lost reverse. the engine will idile down like its wanting to go into reverse but nothing. the fulid looks great in it also. any ideas berfore i pull it out and go though it????

675

As a rule of thumb anytime I have transmission problems I try a fluid and filter and adjust the bands before pulling it out. Its a cheap easy thing to do and it usually fixes it. I know some Chrysler transmissions like to break the reverse band, but if it is trying to go into gear I would say the band needs adjustment.

40

your reverse piston is rolled, or the rubber seal around the piston is torn. Pull the pan, filter. You should be able to see the low reverse piston ( it has been a while ) you might need to remove the valve body also to see it. It isn't hard to change only an hour of work or so. Mine did the same thing, went in drive and all fwd. gears, but nothing when you put it in reverse. Hope this helps.