i need to replace my fuel pump and filter

275

Asked by Sep 01, 2007 at 03:55 AM about the 1989 Dodge Ram Van

My van just shut down while i was on the road a few months ago. I called my uncle who is a mechanic and he had me pour gasoline into the big round thing (i forgot what it was called) when you remove the center console from the inside he said to open it up and pour gasoline in it. He said if it started and died right away, then i had a fuel pump and filter problem. I did, and it was just like he said, so i got it towed to a shop and had them double check. They said yes, the pump and filter need to be replaced. Its been months but i finally got the parts. My mechanic flaked on me and my uncle would not be able to help for almost a month, but i need my van to get to work in a few days. i want to fix it myself tomorrow if i can... but the manual i have to my van is useless as far as replacing those parts. Can you give me a list of detailed instructions on how i can replace the pump and filter please?

175

pull the rear seat out and lift the carpet to see if there is access to the the fuel pump. If not disconect battery, drop fuel tank should be four star bolts use floor jack to drop tank just like you would the transmission. drop about three inches disconect wireing harness from tank when taking the fuel pump ring off USE BRASS SO IT WILL NOT CAUSE A SPARK PLEASE DONT SMOKE while doing this. make sure to use new screen provided with new pump. replace same way it came. Yes it is that simple. Will take about two hours.

275

i had a mechanic come and he replaced the pump for me. new problem is this. we got her going for about 3 blocks, then she died. we dont kow what's wrong now. he says she isn't getting gas to her engine. any ideas what this could be?

20

Hi doing same gig with my van so did the fuel pumpneed yo really be replaced since it does again what's the problem have u figugured a clue yet on it ok let momnioile know

90

How to take fuel pump off

30

there is a regulator of some sort on the engine at the beginning of driver side fuel rail it has a little black hose going to the intake its cheap replace that and your fuel filter the filter is located passenger side on the inside of the frame right in the middle of your car

if you can please help. I have a 1979 dodge sportman van w/ 360 v8. in line elec. fuel pump replaced w/ on same size (2.5 psi) didnt work. upped it to a 7 to 8.5 psi And replaced the mechanical fuel pump as well. still cant get fuel Up to the carburetor. placing gas can on ground below elec. pump I can get fuel that barely spurts out like a cheap porn flick. lifting the container up to floor level (about half the way up to the carb.) it wont pump fuel up that high. saw on youtube a guy why said never install one over 10 psi or it could blow the oil seal?.this makes 4 pumps I have bought from auto shops that dont work. even hired a mobile mechanic who checked it, everything checked out except he said I need a larger fuel pump. cant get any auto parts sellers nor the dodge dealer to tell me what size pump to buy as its just too old for their records. ran 2 yrs ago when I bought it, drove it home (80 miles) new battery, water pump. starter, belts, plugs/wires., power steering pump, had the carburetor rebuilt cleaned, replaced the floats. new oil.