Carburetor

10

Asked by Apr 13, 2010 at 03:36 PM about the 1989 Dodge Ram 50 Pickup

I recently bought a 1989 2.6L Ram50 for my son. After replacing the fuel filter ( Hadn't been run for about 3 years) getting it started it is not 100%. Line, filter and tank OK but it seems that when the excellerator is down 1/3-1/2 it starts cutting out as if starving for gas.  I suspect the carb needs rebuilt or a used one to replace. Any ideas?

15

check your fuel injector...may be clogged dirty, get a fuel injector cleaner or carburator cleaner spray during engine running...it may possible the fuel pump inside the tank,due to old age...it's all depend on what is cause it coming from..Thank you ...Good luck

10

Dave this model 1989 was the last year of the carburetors. I did run a can of Seafoam thru the system and it did not correct it. I am not sure if this model has a internal filter. The external filter (line) was replaced as well. Thanks anyway.

10

are you my dad?

3,765

Funny, i have an identical story for my truck. my dad bought me a 1989 dodge ram 50 with a 2.6 liter in it. we had to replace the head, and it had been sitting for about three years before we started it to try and fix the head. after replacing the head, we found that when the throttle is 1/3 to 1/2 way down when driving, it cuts out and dies. we replaced the fuel filter, and ran sea foam through it, and still nothing changed. we found a donor truck with a 2.0 in it, and swapped the carbs. now it runs like a champ. i would recommend replacing the carb.

There is a vac valv on the stock carbs and if it goes bad it's like your second barrel dosent kick in that's probably the problem