Why is my a/t temp light always on?

10

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 02:00 PM about the 1988 Dodge Ram 50 Pickup

I have a 1988 dodge ram 50 4x4.
Recently while driving the a/t temp
light came on. after letting it cool
down and light went off it came on
about 20 miles down the road
needless to say i let it sit over night to
cool and next morning was still on. is
it my sensor and how do i find and
repair it. any help would be great!

16,295

a 1988 anything with an automatic transmission temperature light has me amazed (I didn't know Dodge was so sophisticated) . That being said- if you do indeed have an A/T Temp Light then it is warning you that your tranny is overheating and you have to find out why it went on. Obviously you start with the basics and check the fluid for level,colour,smell .Let's start there and you get back. And don't just assume a bad sensor; because, sensors are suppose to sense problems and WARN you..AND STOP DRIVING until you find the problem.

10

I havent drove ot for over a week and the light is still on checked the fluid and seems fine.. what else could be the reason it wont go off

40

The temp sensor might be no good.

16,295

tranny cooler working ? see if you can get a person that can read the output from that sensor and tell you what temp the tranny is running at. a dash light only says the sensor is defective or you are over heating. OVER HEATING BAD ,rotten senser good.

16,295

it would be nice if the manufactures put in real gages instead of stupid lights,but I won't hold my breath,

40

A good scanner can tell you exact transmission temp, let say it's 50F out side, and the truck is cool, now you start the truck with the scanner hook up and the temp in transmission data says it's 230F that means the temp sensor failed. The trans temp sensor in your truck could be in the internal wire harness itself.