High Idle

Asked by Jul 02, 2011 at 04:10 PM about the 1987 Dodge Ram 50 Pickup

Hey guys,
I have an 87 ram50 4x4 with the 2.6l and about 208000 miles
my issue is i was driving it on a warm day the engine did not over heat but outta the blue the idle jumped up to approx. 1200-1500 rpm.
i have troubleshot it about as much as i know..
i checked the o2 sensor...OK
thermo couple...tested bad replaced no change....new one now test the same as old but tested good before install???
tested TPS......no succesfull test...just like thermo couple..used 3 different meters...
if engine is cold .....for a 90 degree day then when i start it the idle is high and will not drop...ever....
if i unplug the carb electrical the idle drops to normal ...but only on a fresh start
if the engine warms up to normal temp the idle is back at 1200-1500..sometimes 2000..
i am at a loss...
Note this is a manual tranny
i did notice today that the carb numbers do not corrispond with what the chiltons says it should have it says it is a 89 carb.....
the carb was profesionaly rebuilt about 7 years ago .....no issues till now
any help PLEEEAAASEE
this is my only ride and need to move in 3 weeks..so i in a real pickle

15

does it have A/C ?

875

the high idle cam for the choke idle is hanging up ,,,,this is common... this was a recall years ago ...just need to do a adjustment to it and you should be fine...